Notice to Customers Wishing to Conduct a Currency Exchange Transaction
Limits on Currency Exchange Transactions
In an effort to help prevent international money laundering and related fraudulent transactions, please note that Mizuho Bank will be placing limits on currency exchange transactions effective April 1st, 2013.
- Transactions without a Mizuho Bank account: JPY 300,000 or equivalent
- Transactions with a Mizuho Bank account: JPY 1,000,000 or equivalent
Please be aware that you will be requested to present certain documentation (listed below) if you wish to conduct a currency exchange transaction in excess of the relevant limit above.
(Please also note that branch personnel are not permitted to execute transactions unless the purpose of the transaction has been confirmed.)
Documents to confirm personal identity (must be valid at time of presentation)
- Passport, Japanese driver’s license, special permanent resident certificate, residence card, Japanese health insurance card, etc.
- *In the case of a currency exchange transaction whereby you withdraw funds from a Mizuho Bank account, you can present your Mizuho Bank bankbook (if it has been issued after sighting relevant documentation to confirm your identity).
Documents to confirm purpose of transaction
- Travel: Travel itinerary, passport, etc.
- Study abroad: Letter of admission, etc.
- Business travel: Business travel itinerary, your company’s company brochure, etc.
- Overseas posting: Work visa, notice of transfer, etc.
- Business finance: Documents detailing relevant commercial transactions, etc.
Please Note the Following
- Foreign currency withdrawals from foreign currency accounts and foreign currency deposits into foreign currency accounts (including travelers checks) are also subject to these limits.
- Branch personnel will make photocopies of all documentation presented.
- Procedures at dedicated currency exchange locations (including at airports) differ slightly from above.
Please don’t hesitate to ask a branch staff member if you have any questions regarding this matter.